Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spanish Wells

Hello from Spanish Wells,

We sailed to Spanish Wells this morning from Hatchet Bay. We didn't think much of Hatchet Bay. If I wasn't such a nice person I would call it a dump. We had no wind and motored the whole way. The sail to Hatchet Bay was one of the best of our time here in the Bahamas. We only made minor adjustments to the sails and probably averaged close to 6.5 knots.

Spanish Wells was settled by English Loyalists and people from England who were looking for more religious freedom. John Wesley stopped here for 6 months and the area has a strong Methodist background as opposed to most of the Bahamas which were Anglican. The island is prosperous and they think of themselves as primarily Spanish Wellsians rather than people from the Abacos or Eluthera. The island is very prosperous. Because of weather we plan to be here a couple of days. I think Monday we may rent a golf cart to tour the island.

Elyse has instructed me to limit my reports. As soon as I mention something is working well it breaks. Suffice it to say, we are having a good time. Life continues to be good. We continue to meet great people. We followed a boat in today who called out the depths to us because it got very shallow. We walked around this afternoon with Moose. We are on a mooring ball in place of an anchor.

We plan to spend the next month in the Abacos and then cross back to Florida. We will probably sail up much of the East Coast and avoid some of the Intracoastal Waterway.

Hope your life is good. We love hearing about your life.

The gang on Spunky, John, Elyse and Moose

Friday, March 9, 2012

Hatchet Bay

Left Rock Sound early Friday a.m. and had an awesome sail up to Hatchet Bay. Not too impressed with the harbor here so we have decided to leave early tomorrow for Current Cut and then Spanish Wells to find a mooring ball or marina slip. If that doesn't work we will try to find an anchoring spot in Royal Island. The town here did not have much to offer. Another front is moving through Sat. night and into Sunday. It looks like we may be able the cross the Northwest Passage on Tuesday for Little Harbor in the Abacos. We would have to time that to enter at high tide. Looks like more research before we leave.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Rock Sound

Well we are still here in Rock Sound. There are now about 20 boats here all waiting for the front to pass. The days have been full with boat chores, trips into town for fuel, water and provisions, reading and watching old movies.

We have been fortunate that we have been able to take the dinghy ashore for Moose even with the high winds. The NE winds have blown all the water out of the little area where we dock our dinghy. We had to tie it to the rocks and carefully step across the rocky shoreline to get to the ladder up to the restaurant area which leads to the highway through town.

Yesterday a group of 8 of us plus Moose walked across the island to the Atlantic side to watch the breakers. It was beautiful and awe inspiring to see the waves crashing onto the beach. The sand from the dunes was blowing into our eyes and I put Moose under my jacket to try and keep the sand out of his eyes.

The winds have been pretty steady in the 20's gusting to 30 every now and then and we have had some rain squalls over the past 2 days. John is below listening to Chris Parker's 6:30 a.m. weather broadcast to see if we can finally leave tomorrow morning for Hatchet Bay. Many of the boats will be leaving some going on farther to Current Cut which is a narrow cut in the island to pass through to the north side in preparation to cross the open ocean to the Abacos. We are hoping to meet up with friends in Hatchet and then travel on through Current Cut. One has to catch it at slack tide as the current is very strong and makes it difficult to travel through so we will have to time our arrival to hit the slack ebb or flood. Once through we will wait at Royal Island, a small sheltered harbor, for the seas to calm enough for us to cross.

Rock Sound

Hi All, We are still in Rock Sound Harbor, Eleuthera waiting out the weather. Looks like we may make a run for it tomorrow. It is about 37 miles to our next stop in Hatchet Bay where we may have to wait out another weather front.

It is squally here today interspersed by sun with a good amount of wind, however, we were able to get Moose ashore this morning and got back to Spunky only slightly damp. The wind generator is keeping our batteries topped off even though we've had cloud cover which limits our solar.

This afternoon we will go in to fill a diesel can at the gas station and then we will plan on taking off fairly early. We are ready for some new sights.

Love, Elyse, John and Moose

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Heading North

Friends & Family,
We have turned the corner and are heading back north. Following is Elyse's update that is always better than what I write.

As she says, we are sitting in Rock Sound waiting out the weather. We think we are in a well protected place. We will see.

Life continues to be good. No pressure. Elyse was ready to sail on to our next spot but I felt there was no hurry and with bad weather coming it was best to stay were we know we are good. We continue to meet interesting people who are also cruising. Some like us live on their boats and others are able to travel for months at a time and then go to a "home". We have met a lot of Canadians. We are really getting into the islands. No hurry mon.

Elyse is pretty excited that I am growing a mustache. When I wear my straw hat that I bought in George Town she thinks I look like Tom Selleck.

We continue to learn about the boat and there are always things to fix. Today I cleared a blocked drain line by hooking up our air pump and blowing it out. I had Elyse with her head stuck in a cabinet under out bed looking for bubbles. I was in the engine compartment shouting, asking if she could see them. Tomorrow the project is removing rust spots on the stainless.

For our water we have to take jerry cans to shore. The restaurant near where we are anchored is going to allow me to fill my two 6 gallon jugs to bring back. Did you know that water is heavy? Elyse is always worried we will run dry. We carry over 200 gallons and have always been able to top off with no more than 3 jugs. Most of the time we have to pay for water. It is very dry here and in most places the water is desalinated from the sea water. In Long Island the owners of a resort rationed the people using their laundry mat. We may add a water maker this summer.

Our plan is to spend the next couple of months working our way back up north and to cross back to Florida the first of May. The sights are amazing. Yesterday when we were getting into our dingy to go back to the boat a small manta ray swam by next to us.

I hope your life is good and your dreams are coming true. I encourage you to pull up your anchor and cast off. As they say no one ever complained about having not spent more time in the office on their death bed.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Today has been a lazy day. Late yesterday a boat named Airborne came into the harbor and called to ask if we were comfortable with their anchor position next to us. We invited them over for drinks. They are living in Cape Coral, FL and have been cruising the Caribbean since 2002 and lived in Arlington, VA for several years when he was at the Pentagon. It was nice to visit with them. They are headed on south to Cat Island before turning back to head home.

It looks like there are about 8 boats that will ride out the front here with us. Some others could still arrive late today or tomorrow but much after that it will be batten down the hatches.

I am sending this along with our most recent Spot location. I hope you will all let us know how you are doing. We greatly enjoy hearing what is going on out in the real world.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Rock Sound

The tour of Cat Island was fun. There is not much to see between New Bight where we were anchored and the north end of the island. I had completed my continuing ed for my Florida real estate license and had faxed my answer sheet that morning to FL. We missed a call on our cell phone on the ride up north and needed to stop at a Batelco office as we couldn't figure out how to return the call on our phone. We stopped in Arthur Town at the north end of the island and found out how to make the call. The fax had been fuzzy and they wanted me to fax it again. I asked if I could just read my answers to them over the phone and they agreed and told me I had passed. We drove on to the far end of the island on a dirt road past Orange Creek and had lunch on the deck of a lovely resort overlooking the bay. The resort is owned by a German couple who came to the island on vacation and decided to stay. They told us that Irene had done major damage to the island which we had noticed. There are many abandoned buildings missing roofs and walls with the windows boarded up. On the drive back we took a winding dirt road about 5 miles to the Atlantic side and walked the beach looking for hamburger beans, heart beans and sea glass. This was our first hunt, although the couple from Maverick were experts, and we found two beans and some sea glass. We were told that you can polish the beans and make jewelry out of them as well as the sea glass. We got back to our dinghies after dark and the next morning returned the car got diesel and water in our jerry cans as well as some produce and hauled it all back to Spunky and took off by 10 a.m. Since we had seen the island by car we decided to sail directly to Little San Salvador where we arrived early afternoon. It is a small island owned by Holland America Cruise Lines and is where the cruise ships come and drop their passengers for a few days of organized fun on the beach. Cruisers are allowed to walk the beaches with permission but are limited as to where they can anchor when the ships are in port. We arrived as a huge ship was departing. The staff for the most part comes in by boat when the ships are there to man the resort and most all leave as soon as the ship leaves to return to their homes on other islands. The night was very rolly and uncomfortable which upsets Moose so I slept with him in the cockpit and we left at first light to sail on to Rock Sound in Eleuthera. The first 10 miles of the 42 mile run was like sailing in a washing machine. The ocean swells were off our port quarter and the wind was coming from the starboard side, but after we turned north into the lee of the island the seas settled down and we had a great sail almost all the way to Rock Sound dodging coral heads and sand bars.

Rock Sound is a nice big bay (about 4 miles long) with protection from wind in most directions. It is a cute town, the largest on the island with a population of about 400, with good groceries, diesel at the gas station and a laundry. We heard on the weather report that another front would be moving in by Sunday and we would have to find shelter from the NE winds 25 to 35 knots. After much discussion, we have decided to remain here for what could be as much as 10 days or more rather than race to the next protected bay which would be quite a distance away in Hatchet Bay or farther up in Royal Island. We have boat chores to take care of like changing the oil and fixing our stern ladder steps and we would miss the opportunity to leisurely explore the island if we left tomorrow. We are not in a rush so we will stay here through the front. Several other boats are making the run to Royal Is. and Maverick had already gone on ahead as they were meeting company in the Abacos and needed to hurry along taking advantage of the weather window between Wed. and Sunday when the next front will hit.

Last night we had drinks with some other cruisers at the open air restaurant across from where we are anchored. Moose was welcome and allowed the little boys(5 or 6 years old) who belong to the staff to take him for walks around the grounds until I "rescued" him and then he sat at the bar on a bar stool while we visited. It was a long day and we all were very tired.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Heading North

We had a good sail up the west coast of Long Island and so decided to go all the way to Conception rather than stop at Calabash Bay. Conception is a small island that is part of the Bahamian National Park. The beaches are clean and pretty and there is nothing on the island in the way of buildings. The anchorage was pretty rolly and the day after we arrived we walked the beaches and snorkeled in a shallow area with lots of coral reefs. It is called the "kiddie park" since it is so easy to snorkel there. We anchored the dinghy close by and Moose stayed in the dinghy while we swam with the fish. There were some pretty fish with vibrant colors-bright yellow and purple.

We decided to leave the following morning as there was a front due on Sunday and not a lot of protection in the anchorage so we got up and were ready to go at 6:30 a.m. Moose surprised us and did his business on the bow so we didn't have to take him ashore. Unfortunately we had little to no wind and had to motor the 44 miles to Cat Island where we anchored in New Bight and here we will stay until the front passes through on Thursday. Yesterday we hiked up Mt. Avernia (206 ft. high-the highest mountain in the Bahamas) to see the Hermitage built form lime stone by Father Jerome who has built several churches on Long and Cat Islands. It is truly an amazing sight. It was built by his hand and has a chapel and bell tower and then his living quarters with a kitchen and bedroom all out of stone.

We are traveling with Bob and Pat and Lucy the dog on Maverick. We all hiked up the steep limestone steps carved into the mountain with Moose and Lucy leading the way.

Last night we went in and met many Cat Island residents at an outdoor cafe where we ate and drank and listened to music. It was great fun. Today we are sharing a rental car and touring the island.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Long Island

Well we have been here just a week. It has been very relaxing. We walked across the island to the Atlantic side to see the beach. It was quite cluttered with plastic items but I'm not sure they came from the ocean dumped off of boats or from folks leaving junk on the beach. Very sad.

We have not really connected with other cruisers until today. People seem to have buddy boats that they mingle with or keep to themselves here but we met a couple who have a dog as well today so we are going to meet them on the beach tonight for a playmate.

So aside from boat chores like cleaning the stainless, sweeping up sand and filling the diesel and water jugs on shore and hauling them back to Spunky, we have spent our days reading and planning the next leg of our journey.

The northeast swells will end tonight and we will leave tomorrow a.m. for the north tip of Long Island and spend the night in Calabash Bay and then on to Conception on Friday. The winds will kick up above 20 knts on Sat so we want to be tucked in to our next anchorage by then. Hope this finds you all well and warm.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Long Island

We left George Town on Thursday. Tuesday was the dinner at Chat n Chill and the Valentines dance. We had fun. We took Moose to dinner on the beach and then back to the boat for the dance. He was tired and we knew it would be too confusing for him on the small deck with all the people. The night before the dance we had dinner on 'Not so Interim' with Bert and Maria Elena and two other couples-Roger and Linda on Sundancer and Patrick and Lisa on Giya II. Maria Elena who owned a restaurant in Venezuela is an awesome cook and we had conch fritters and fresh seared tuna which they had caught on the way to George Town. Turns out we knew Roger and Linda back in Galesville, MD when we had our 38' Ericson, Babe, named after the pig, of course, because it was as strange for a pig to be a sheepdog as for us to be sailing a boat. They caught us up on old friends with whom we sailed around the DelMarVa back in the late 90's. Small world. They met Maria Elena when they sailed to S. America some years back.

We arrived in Long Island yesterday afternoon. It is southeast of George Town. Thompson Bay is where we are anchored and it is large and not crowed. We arrived about 5:30 and took Moose into the beach and then headed back to Spunky for dinner.

This morning we took the dinghy the 2 miles into Island Breeze a 'resort 'that tries to cater to cruisers by allowing us to use the dinghy dock. The grocery store in Salt Pond which is the settlement where we are is pretty well stocked by Bahamas standards which is not saying much by US standards.

I wish I could figure out how to get my photos from the camera to the update as I know it would mean a lot more for you to see what we are experiencing. I am going to try to have John figure that out. He has been diving on the prop to clean it of barnacles and washing off the boat line where growth is above the bottom paint line due to the fact that we have loaded Spunky down with provisions. This afternoon I am hoping to do a small load of laundry and then it is relax time.